My interest in spirituality grows fonder each passing day. It seems that my inner soul is hungry of knowing what lies beneath that our bare eyes can’t see. I have this feeling that my journey in uncovering the true meaning of Shakti is not as far as what I needed to know. Shakti, which somehow has a connection with me that seems like a feeling of déjà vu.
I have decided to research more about Shakti. I was so fascinated by this and can’t resist on knowing how will this endure and improve my knowledge and interest on spirituality. And I was not betrayed by my gut. I have uncovered another reality about Shakti. Each human has what they call Kundalini. Kundalini Shakti is the ultimate power that resides in the human body. It is the feminine power that unites with its masculine companion, Lord Shiva. It is the untouched power that each human possesses. It’s like a flower that needs to be nurtured to achieve and expose its real beauty.
The word kundalini refers to the shakti or power when it is in its dormant potential state, but when it is manifesting, you can call it Devi, Kali, Durga, Saraswati, Lakshmi or any other name according to the manifestation it is exhibiting before you.
Another most applicable and understandable explanation of Kundalini is that it is a biological process that creates a connection between the brain and the reproductive system; it is a means of elevation the levels of consciousness.
In the spiritual studies connected with Yogic theories and practices, we come across a powerful form of dormant energy which is present in all human beings at the base of the spine in the form of 3 ½ coiled snake which is in the dormant state and waiting to be flourished. Kundalini is the supreme power and no other power in this universe can match the intensity of this supremacy. This snake / Shakti is in the dormant state because of our karmic accounts, and it is said that once this Shakti start rising from Root chakra to crown chakra, an individual faces major transformation in his / her personality also in his / her spiritual powers.
Kundalini and Gunas
Ancient scriptures and Gurus expounded the three Gunas which are the essence of the human life journey. 3 ½ fold of snake represents 3 gunas of a human life and the half fold represented as the journey of higher upliftment or you can journey from Tamo to Rajo to Sato Guna.
A Guna means quality and the three Gunas together are trigunas; these three qualities are responsible for the attributes of an individual like:
- Attitudes and
Now let us analyse the Gunas:
- Tamo Guna – Gives the selfish and shred attributes with a troublesome and lethargic approach to life. A person who is in this Guna faces lots of struggle and sufferings in his / her life. This is considered as one of the most difficult phase of a human existence and because of the difficult phase of life, a person normally gets into spirituality.
- Rajo Guna – After all struggles in Tamo Guna, the next stage of human life is the stage of Rajo guna. In this a person gets the supreme blessings and support from the universe and gets almost every materialistic things. This is a phase where apart from materialistic things like money, success, and relationships etc, a person gets EGO also and it is said that it is quite difficult to move from this level to the next level.
- Sato Guna – This is the state of Nirvana, Mauksh, Self enlightenment. It also represents Light, purity, compassionate nature and charitable views; it produces a gentle, sympathetic and non-violent nature. This is the level where a soul merges with the supreme white light of this universe.
Normally, a combination of these three gunas is seen in each and every personality and the proportion of the gunas influences the attributes of a person’s personality.
Since there are various practitioners, teachers and scholars who are practicing and preaching Yogic studies theoretically and practically, there are varying opinions regarding Kundalini’s awakening, the methods to be adopted for its “awakening” or “arousal”, the benefits ensuing from such an achievement.
Under the Tantric traditions followed by various sects and schools of thought, the following are the leading ones, who practice and preach (teach) the techniques leading to the arousal of Kundalini:
- Mantra Yoga,
- Laya Yoga,
- Raja yoga,
- Hatha Yoga
- Bhakti Yoga
The ultimate aim of the Yogi or Sadhak is to awaken the Kundalini Shakti and lead her through the spine to meet her master Sadashiv who resides in the Crown-based Sahasrara Chakra.
Kundalini vs Kundalini yoga
But, there is a subtle difference between Kundalini Shakti and Kundalini Yoga; laymen like us are not able to distinguish between the two.
- While Kundalini Yoga is a system of different exercises of the body, meditation and breathing practices Kundalini Shakti is a biological process,
- Kundalini yoga is a physical program developed by a yogi while Kundalini Shakti is a metabolic mechanism practiced in Budhism, Islam and Christianity since ages;
- Kundalini is a form of energy that raises your consciousness through practice and meditation while Kundalini yoga is one of the forms of exercise which are used to reaching a state of where arousal of the Kundalini shakti is the aim.
In coming volumes of kundalini we will try to learn the arousal methods of kundalini also we will discuss the benefits of Kundalini.